Round three now open - your chance to enter the UK's newest competition for budding amateur filmmakers. £10,000 IN PRIZES TO BE WON!
AFOY challenges you to get creative with your filmmaking, and gives you the opportunity to win some fantastic prizes worth £10,000 in total.
The competition is split into three rounds, each with its unique theme: Nature, Time and Love. To enter, submit a video no more than five minutes in length, of HD quality. You can shoot on any camera you’d like, and the content and editing are up to your imagination – so long as it fits the round’s particular theme.
The winner will be the person with the most points after three rounds, and will win the overall prize as well as title of Amateur Filmmaker of the Year.
Round Three: Love
We want to see how you convey your love for someone or something through film in a creative way for this round. Try using techniques such as ‘lens whacking’ or ‘light leaks’ to add that soft feel to your footage. For examples, go to www.thevideomode.com/examples
View a short video below as to why you need to enter this fantastic competition
Rounds and Dates
Below is a list of the competition rounds, their themes and the dates you need to know. To view the results visit www.thevideomode.com. When planning your entry, take into consideration the criteria of fulfilling the brief, creativity and technical excellence on which you’ll be judged.
Round One: Nature
Opens: 1 Aug
Closes: 30 Sep
Round Two: Time
Opens: 1 Oct
Closes: 31 Dec
Round Three: Love
Opens: 1 Jan
Closes: 28 Feb
Enter to win your share of prizes worth over £10,000! Here’s what you could receive:
Canon EOS 7D Mark II, worth £1499.99
Canon Legria Mini X, worth £329.99
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, worth £2499.99
Canon Legria Mini X, worth £329.99
Canon XC10 (with 128GB CFast card and reader), worth £1999.99
Canon Legria Mini X, worth £329.99
The overall winner will be announced in April 2016
Overall prize (main picture)
Canon Cinema EOS C100 Mark II, worth £3599.99
AFOY competition rules:
“Videos submitted must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use and must not otherwise be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. If your video includes any third party materials and/or content, you must provide evidence that you have permission to use that material when requested to do so by Time Inc. (UK). If Time Inc. (UK) has reason to believe your entry is not your own work or otherwise breaches this rule, your videos will NOT be considered.”
- Entrants may submit unlimited videos per round
- All entries must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo and the link sent to us directly from the competition page.
- Videos submitted must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use and must not otherwise be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. If Time Inc. (UK) has reason to believe your entry is not your own work or otherwise breaches this rule, your videos will NOT be considered.
- Videos must not previously have been entered in a national UK competition
- Copyright of all entries remains with the photographer, but Time Inc. (UK), Canon and their associated group companies reserve the right to use, publish and republish entries in connection with the competition, without payment.
- You grant Time Inc. (UK) and Canon the right to use your name and town or city of residence for the sole purpose of identifying you as the author of your videos and/or as a winner or runner-up of the AFOY competition.
- This competition is open to bona fide amateur videographers and students only. That is, entrants should not earn more than 10% of their total annual income OR £5,000 annually from videography
- Employees of Time Inc. (UK) , Canon and their families may not enter this competition. Entries are judged by Time Inc & Canon staff.
- There is no age limit for entering, and international entries will be accepted.
- Prizes are as stated and no cash or other alternative can be offered to the monthly prizes or overall prize.
- Prize value correct at time of going to press. Overseas winners will be contacted about how to claim their prize, although entrants who live outside the UK who win a prize will be liable for any local customs charges and enter at their own risk. Canon has the right to substitute a prize for a similar item of equal or higher value if the stated prize is not available. No money can be added to the overall prizes.
- Prizes are subject to Canon standard terms and conditions for its products. Acceptance of a prize is deemed to be acceptance of those terms and conditions.
- Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed.
- No responsibility is taken for lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete entries. Proof of delivery of the entry is not proof of receipt.
- No purchase is necessary.
- By submitting videos you are accepting these rules.
- Time Inc. (UK), Canon or their associated group companies shall not be liable for any loss, damage or injury of any nature howsoever caused, sustained by any entrant under this promotion. However, nothing in these rules shall have the effect of excluding or restricting liability for personal injury, death, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation caused by the proven negligence of employees or agents of Time Inc. (UK), Canon or their associated group companies.
- Canon shall not be liable for any failure to supply the prizes where such failure is caused by any supervening circumstances outside its control which amount to force majeure and which without the fault of either party renders performance impossible or incapable of satisfactory execution.
- These rules are governed by the laws of England and Wales and any dispute in relation to them shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
- This competition is owned and run by Amateur Photographer/Time Inc. (UK) and all competition terms and conditions are bound by Amateur Photographer/Time Inc. (UK) rules.
- As you know, the terms and conditions of entry state that videos must be your own work, must not be copied, and must not contain any third party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use. Before we can consider your video further, we need to know that you have sought permission for any third party materials and/or content used in your video, including any music. Therefore please can you:- Confirm what music is used in the video; i.e. the name the track, artist, and recording studio (if relevant);
– Provide evidence of permission to use the music in the video.
Amateur Photographer/Time Inc. (UK) rules:
- When you enter this competition, your email address will be added to the Amateur Photographer fortnightly newsletter and Time Inc. (UK) Ltd. may contact you about relevant products or services and research via email. However, you will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from via the unsubscribe message in the emails.
- Competition details form part of these terms and conditions.
- Entry is open to residents of the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man except employees (and their families) of Time Inc. (UK) Ltd , its printers and The entrant(s) must be aged 18 or over.
- Proof of identity and age may be required.
- Use of a false name or address will result in disqualification.
- All entries must be made directly by the person entering the competition.
- Entries made online using methods generated by a script, macro or the use of automated devices will be void.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries lost, delayed or corrupted, or due to computer error in transit.
- The prizes are as stated, are not transferable to another individual and no cash or other alternatives will be offered.
- The winner(s) is(are) responsible for expenses and arrangements not specifically included in the prizes, including any necessary travel documents, passports and visas.
- Prizes are subject to availability and the prize suppliers’ terms and conditions.
- The promoters reserve the right to amend or alter the terms of competitions and reject entries from entrants not entering into the spirit of the competition.
- In the event of a prize being unavailable, the promoter reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- The winner(s) agree(s) to the use of their name, photograph and disclosure of county of residence and will co-operate with any other reasonable requests by Time Inc. (UK) Ltd relating to any post-winning publicity.
- Unless stated otherwise all postal entries must be made on the relevant coupon or form printed in the magazine.
- Unless stated otherwise the winner(s) will be drawn at random from all correct entries received by the closing date stated within the promotional material.
- Reasonable efforts will be made to contact the winner(s). If the winner(s) cannot be contacted, or are unable to comply with these terms and conditions, the Promoter reserves the right to offer the prize to the next eligible entrantdrawn at random, or in the event that the promotion is being judged the Promoter reserves the right to offer the prize to the runner(s)-up selected by the same judges.
- Confirmation of the prize will also be made in writing to the winner(s).
- Failure to respond and/or provide an address for delivery, or failure to meet the eligibility requirements may result in forfeiture of the prize.
- Where applicable, the decision of the judges is final based on the criteria set out in the promotion and no correspondence will be entered into over this decision.
- Competitions may be modified or withdrawn at any time.
- The provider of the prize is specified within the promotional material.
- The Promoter is Time Inc. (UK) Ltd, Blue Fin Building, 110 Southwark Street, London SE1 0SU.
- In the event of a discrepancy between these standard terms and conditions and the details in the promotional material, the details of the promotional material shall prevail.
- A list of winners will be available by writing into the publisher of the magazine or website at the Promoter’s address no earlier than six weeks (unless otherwise stated) after the close of the competition. Only the surname and county of the winners will be disclosed.